Re: 7.5 Plans

From: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.5 Plans
Date: 2003-11-27 04:05:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> So, what does changing it to $PostgreSQL$ do? Or am I reading the wrong
> part of the manual?

After applying the patch in -patches to CVSROOT and running the update
script...

It will allow Chris and other to import the PostgreSQL source into their
own CVS tree without having do to a ton of diff editing to reimport /
export changes between the primary tree and their development tree.

Forking the main PostgreSQL tree 30 times for the various groups to do
development isn't appropriate nor necessary when we can just change the
ID that PostgreSQL uses to something different.

The BSDs wen't through similar measures to ensure they could maintain
multiple CVS sources without diff / patch going nuts.