Re: minor cleanup in plpgsql.sgml

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: minor cleanup in plpgsql.sgml
Date: 2003-11-25 16:54:03
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 11:24, Tom Lane wrote:
> Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> writes:
> > ! SELECT INTO users_rec * FROM users WHERE user_id=3;
> > --- 986,993 ----
> > ! SELECT * FROM users WHERE user_id=3 INTO users_rec;
>
> Why do you want to change the example to disagree with the advice given
> just above?
>
> : At present, the INTO clause can appear almost anywhere in the SELECT
> : statement, but it is recommended to place it immediately after the
> : SELECT key word as depicted above. Future versions of PL/pgSQL may be
> : less forgiving about placement of the INTO clause.
>
> regards, tom lane

guess that was an unconscious change made on my part. I tend to use that
format for writing functions since I feel it is more clear to read.

Actually if I had my druthers I'd probably remove that "advice"
entirely, but either way that change can be disregarded, but removal of
the "full_name varchar" line should still be done.

Robert Treat