Re: Some thoughts about i/o priorities and throttling vacuum

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Some thoughts about i/o priorities and throttling vacuum
Date: 2003-10-17 16:00:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 10:53, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
> > One additional thing, some of this might be possible if pg_autovacuum
> > saved its data between restarts. Right now it restarts with no memory
> > of what happened before.
>
> Well, the unmaintened gborg version adopted approach of storing such info. in a
> table, so that it survives postgresql/pg_atuvacuum restart or both.
>
> That was considered a tablespace pollution back then. But personally I think, it
> should be ok. If ever it goes to catalogues, I would rather add few columns to
> pg_class for such a stat. But again, thats not my call to make.

I still consider it tablespace pollution, when / if it gets integrated
into the backend, and it uses system tables that is a different story,
you are not modifying a users database. What should happen is that on
exit pg_autovacuum writes it's data to a file that it rereads on
startup, or something like that....