Re: sql performance and cache

From: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: Wei Weng <wweng(at)kencast(dot)com>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Chris Faulkner <chrisf(at)oramap(dot)com>, Pgsql-Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Pgsql-Sql <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: sql performance and cache
Date: 2003-10-14 18:15:39
Lists: pgsql-performance pgsql-sql

> > Perhaps you are confusing it with the MySQL query cache?

> Is there plan on developing one (query cache)?

For the most part, prepared queries and cursors give you a greater
advantage due to their versatility -- both of which we do have.

In the cases where an actual cache is useful, the client application
could do it just as easily or temp tables can be used.

I suspect it would be implemented more as a caching proxy than as an
actual part of PostgreSQL, should someone really want this feature.