Re: Procedure for adding a column

From: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
To: PgSQL General ML <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Procedure for adding a column
Date: 2003-10-11 18:21:43
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 11:05, David Shadovitz wrote:
> I need to add a column to a table. This table holds several thousand
> records, has several indexes, and serves as the parent table to a few
> child tables.
>
> When I've done this in the past, it has taken quite a long time for
> the ALTER TABLE command to complete.
>
> So, what is the correct procedure for adding a column? Drop the
> indexes, add the column, and recreate the indexes?

Can you be more explicit about "quite a long time".

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Whatever may be the moral ambiguities of the so-called demoratic
nations and however serious may be their failure to conform
perfectly to their democratic ideals, it is sheer moral
perversity to equate the inconsistencies of a democratic
civilization with the brutalities which modern tyrannical states
practice."
Reinhold Nieburhr, ca. 1940