Catalog vs. user table format (was Re: State of Beta 2)

From: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
To: PgSQL General ML <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Catalog vs. user table format (was Re: State of Beta 2)
Date: 2003-09-20 20:55:54
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, 2003-09-20 at 11:17, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> > No, I'm not suggesting no catalog changes ... wait, I might be wording
> > this wrong ... there are two changes that right now requires a
> > dump/reload, changes to the catalogs and changes to the data structures,
> > no? Or are these effectively inter-related?
>
> Oh, what you're saying is no changes in user table format. Yeah, we

Whew, we're finally on the same page!

So, some definitions we can agree on?
"catalog change": CREATE or ALTER a pg_* table.
"on-disk structure", a.k.a. "user table format": the way that the
tables/fields are actually stored on disk.

So, a catalog change should *not* require a dump/restore, but an
ODS/UTF change should.

Agreed?

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net
Jefferson, LA USA

"they love our milk and honey, but preach about another way of living"
Merle Haggard, "The Fighting Side Of Me"