Re: 'order by' does "wrong" with unicode-chars (german umlauts)

From: peter pilsl <pilsl(at)goldfisch(dot)at>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 'order by' does "wrong" with unicode-chars (german umlauts)
Date: 2003-09-20 12:56:17
Lists: pgsql-general

> I'm no expert on locales, but I think you're confusing two things.
> Your character-set determines what symbols you can store.
> Your locale determines sorting rules. Check the end of the postgresql.conf
> file for details of what your current settings are.

I dont think that this is my problem.

I get my text from a web-form, process it via perl and store it in postgreSQL
via DBI-Interface. The unicode-text appears as multibyte in perl and I got the
suspect that postgresql simply takes this multibyte-text and doesnt even
reckognize that it could be unicode.

If I store a german-umlaut-O (uppercase) to postgres and then retrieve it using
the lower-function on it I dont get a german-umlaut-o (lowercase) at all.
Only the first byte is converted to lowercase and the second is left untouched,
while in "real" unicode-lowercasing the first byte would stay untouched and the
second would change.
I still dont know how to tell postgres that the data it receives is unicode and
not just "singlebyte".

I'll rethink my problem and post a somehow more precise question to the mainlist
then, but any comments to shorten and improve my rethinking are highly welcome.

thnx,
peter