Re: psql and blob

From: Daniel Schuchardt <daniel_schuchardt(at)web(dot)de>
To: Doug McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql and blob
Date: 2003-09-18 14:44:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Yes thats it.

Ok - one last question.
My Script looks like this and actually i can run it only on the server (so i have to copy all my data to the server each time i want to update my blobs):

INSERT INTO tablexy (BLOBFIELD) VALUES (lo_import('BLOBFILE')).

Now we know if I want to upload a clientfile I have to use \lo_import BUT i cant use this inside the script.

INSERT INTO tablexy (BLOBFIELD) VALUES (\lo_import('BLOBFILE')). is not possible because \lo_import is a unknown command for the server.

So I have to do 2 steps manually in psql:

\lo_import(ClientFile) -> Returns OID

INSERT INTO tablexy (BLOBFIELD) VALUES (Returned OID)

Is there a way to do this automatically?
Means my Clientside script should upload a local file (from the same computer where the script is executed) to the server and insert this file in a special table automatically.

Thanks