Explicit Cast

From: Rhaoni Chiu Pereira <rhaoni(at)sistemica(dot)info>
To: Lista PostgreSQL <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Explicit Cast
Date: 2003-08-20 12:24:28
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi List,

As I already said .. I'm porting an Oracle DB to PostgreSQL and I must
rewrite most of the functions . So I have a problem to do something like this:

... atual_fatura in(''+'',''-'') ...

It gives me the following error:

Unable to identify an operator '-' for types 'numeric' and 'character varying'
You will have to retype this query using an explicit castenciosamente,

atual_fatura is a varchar field.

I read howto create an explicit cast but I didn't understand what I must do in
this case.

Can anybody help me ?

Rhaoni Chiu Pereira
Sistêmica Computadores