Re: PostgreSQL performance problem -> tuning

From: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
To: PgSQL Performance ML <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL performance problem -> tuning
Date: 2003-08-07 18:59:14
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 12:04, Yaroslav Mazurak wrote:
> scott.marlowe wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Yaroslav Mazurak wrote:
>
> >>Shridhar Daithankar wrote:

[snip]
> > My guess is that this is exactly what's happening to you, you're using so
> > much memory that the machine is running out and slowing down.
>
> > Drop shared_buffers to 1000 to 4000, sort_mem to 8192 and start over from
> > there. Then, increase them each one at a time until there's no increase
> > in speed, or stop if it starts getting slower and back off.
>
> > bigger is NOT always better.
>
> Let I want to use all available RAM with PostgreSQL.
> Without executing query (PostgreSQL is running) top say now:

You're missing the point. PostgreSQL is not designed like Oracle,
Sybase, etc.

They say, "Give me all the RAM; I will cache everything myself."

PostgreSQL says "The kernel programmers have worked very hard on
disk caching. Why should I duplicate their efforts?"

Thus, give PG only a "little" RAM, and let the OS' disk cache hold
the rest.

| Ron Johnson, Jr. Home: ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net |
| Jefferson, LA USA |
| |
| "Man, I'm pretty. Hoo Hah!" |
| Johnny Bravo |