Re: php with postgres

From: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, Marcus Börger <marcus(dot)boerger(at)post(dot)rwth-aachen(dot)de>, ivan <iv(at)psycho(dot)pl>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: php with postgres
Date: 2003-07-22 17:57:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Won't that break when we have nested transactions implemented? i.e.
> > begin;commit; would just open a sub transaction and have no effect on the
> > outer transaction...
>
> Yes, it would break. I am not sure how we are going to flag that we
> want to rollback all nested transactions, maybe ROLLBACK ALL.

Shouldn't the results of PQtransactionStatus() override any 'pre-canned'
guess about how to abort a potential transaction since you know the
exact state of the protocol?

If PQprotocolVersion() == 2 then do things the old way (always begin /
rollback).

If either of the above functions are not present (pre-7.4 version of
PostgreSQL) then always begin / rollback.