Re: Problems with Spanish Chars

From: Tony Grant <tony(at)tgds(dot)net>
To: Pedro Galan <pgalan(at)cscamaras(dot)es>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems with Spanish Chars
Date: 2003-07-21 06:39:32
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 10:37, Pedro Galan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to use PostgreSQL throught postgresjdbc driver from JSP's pages
> and I am having problems with Spanish special chars.
>
> If I try to insert a text containing any of the following chars á, é, í, ñ
> ... then the result is not correct. I supposse the driver transforms these
> chars into a '?' char.
>
> Any ideas ????

createdb -E LATIN1

for searching from JSP forms try escaping your input with this:

<%! public static String sqlEscape(String str) {
if(str==null) return(null);
StringBuffer strBuf = new StringBuffer();
for(int i=0; i<str.length();i++) {
char c = str.charAt(i);
if(c== '\'') {
strBuf.append(c);
strBuf.append(c);
} else {
strBuf.append(c);
}
}
return(strBuf.toString());
}
%>

And put sqlEscape around the accented text you want

(sqlEscape(request.getParameter("someTxt")) !=null)

Cheers

Tony Grant