Re: sql question (hopefully)

From: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
To: PgSQL Novice ML <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: sql question (hopefully)
Date: 2003-06-18 13:19:05
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 07:38, Mel Jamero wrote:
> will try to keep this as short as possible. =)
>
> 1. "select id from a_table where id not in (2,3,4)" works fine
>
> 2. "select id from a_table where id not in (select id from b_table)" works
> fine if the output of the "select id from b_table" looks like:
> id
> ----
> 2
> 3
> 4
>
> problem is "select id from b_table" in #2 statement has the following
> output:
> id
> ----
> 2,3,4
>
> how do i do execute the query in a single sql statement?

b_table.id has Repeating Values, which breaks the 1st Normal Form
of relational DBMS design.

Thus, redesign b_table so that id only has 1 value.

| Ron Johnson, Jr. Home: ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net |
| Jefferson, LA USA http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| |
| "Oh, great altar of passive entertainment, bestow upon me |
| thy discordant images at such speed as to render linear |
| thought impossible" (Calvin, regarding TV) |