Re: Application Development with PostgreSQL

From: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
To: PgSQL Novice ML <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Application Development with PostgreSQL
Date: 2003-05-05 16:33:19
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Mon, 2003-05-05 at 11:13, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Ron,
[snip]
> > Maybe it's just me, but I'm not a big fan of pumping everything
> > through port 80. (This is where Web Services really scares me.)
>
> Beyond the script kiddie issue, what's to worry about?

If your app uses a non-standard port, then you can have more control
than if everything and the kitchen sink flows through port 80.

> > It's here alright, but "thin client" doesn't *equate* to web-based
> > interaction.
> >
> > Thank goodness for LAPP (linux, apache, postgresql, php) but it's
> > not the solution to every on-line system.
>
> You're absolutely right. My point is merely that unless "advantages 1&2" are
> very important to your application, "LAPP" is probably the cheapest, fastest
> (to develop) and more reliable application architectures currently available.
>
> I've certainly developed applications where 1&2's importance was overwhelming
> ... for example, a financial reporting application we wrote 2 years ago in
> VB6. The app had to fit a lot of data on a small screen, and had to print
> highly formatted reports running to hundreds of pages. This is not something
> to which web apps are suited.

What if I need multiple scrolling regions, and the ability to be "mouse
free" (for clerks doing heads-down work)?

> And there certainly are non-web-based thin client architectures -- I support
> one of my clients on Citrix, for example. My experience, however, has been
> that terminal-services based solutions for applications (so, not LTSP) tend
> to be high-maintainence and expensive (WTS is $150/user, last I checked).

High maintenance? Really?

| Ron Johnson, Jr. Home: ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net |
| Jefferson, LA USA http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| |
| An ad currently being run by the NEA (the US's biggest |
| public school TEACHERS UNION) asks a teenager if he can |
| find sodium and *chloride* in the periodic table of the |
| elements. |
| And they wonder why people think public schools suck... |