Re: > 16TB worth of data question

From: Jeremiah Jahn <jeremiah(at)cs(dot)earlham(dot)edu>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: postgres list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: > 16TB worth of data question
Date: 2003-04-28 14:13:43
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 16:46, Jan Wieck wrote:
> Jeremiah Jahn wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 10:31, Lincoln Yeoh wrote:
> > > How about backups? Backing up 2-16TB needs a bit more planning and design.
> > The proposed solution here is to have the raid controller mirror accross
> > the street to a similar system. At what point do off line backups become
> > pointless?
>
> Fine, so you have a 10 MBit link across the "street" in the budget but
> nothing to buy decent server hardware? 4TB (just to be around where you
> expect to be after 6 months or so) per year means an average MBit per
> second ... on a second thought, the 10 MBit will probably not be enough
> to satisfy peak times.
actually they have fiber accross the street. So the SAN can just move
stuff right across at 2Gbps.

> Who made that mirror proposal and where is your PITR capable backup? I
> once saved a company by doing PITR. They ran an Oracle database on two
> software mirrored Raid5 systems ... and the application was
> misconfigured and deleted too much data (way too much).

I don't belive that postgres does PITR yet. However, this is a system
that doesn't need to be 24/7, so we can shut down the db and dump the
whole thing to tape every day with no problem.

--
Jeremiah Jahn <jeremiah(at)cs(dot)earlham(dot)edu>