Re: > 16TB worth of data question

From: Jeremiah Jahn <jeremiah(at)cs(dot)earlham(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>, postgres list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: > 16TB worth of data question
Date: 2003-04-22 13:13:50
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 2003-04-21 at 20:43, Tom Lane wrote:
> Jeremiah Jahn <jeremiah(at)cs(dot)earlham(dot)edu> writes:
> > The only issue with this is that it is difficult to recomend to our
> > clients who depend on bob and cuz'n joe to support their hardware.
>
> And you expect them to be successful running a database that acquires
> 2TB+ of data per year? I think you need to recalibrate your
> expectations. Consumer-grade junk PCs do not have the reliability
> to make such a project even worth starting. Run the database on decent
> made-to-be-a-server hardware, or you'll regret it.
That's the question...That 2 TB of data is nothing but documents and
images. I'm under the perception that if that gets parked on a fibre
channel disk array/ SAN the data will be pretty safe, and the server
mostly replaceable at that time. Storage is my worry more than
processing power. I don't think I'm on crack here...?

--
Jeremiah Jahn <jeremiah(at)cs(dot)earlham(dot)edu>