Re: Run pgindent now?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Run pgindent now?
Date: 2015-05-25 22:30:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> A longer-term fix would be to make pgindent less stupid about this sort
>> of usage, but nobody's yet volunteered to dig into the guts of that code.

> We've discussed in the past that we could use something other than BSD's
> indent -- astyle has been mentioned. It seems that with suitable
> options, we could make the result very close to what we have now, and
> not be forced to deal with typedef lists and other nonsense.

Meh. As far as I know, nobody's ever gotten decent-looking results from
other tools. Also, if we say "use astyle" then we're vulnerable to
different peoples' installations producing different results. There is
a whole lot to be said for bundling the tool into our source tree, if
we're going to recommend patching processes that depend on reproducible
results.