Re: Are we losing momentum?

From: Mike Benoit <mikeb(at)netnation(dot)com>
To: Brent Verner <brent(at)rcfile(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Are we losing momentum?
Date: 2003-04-15 18:56:50
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

>From my experience, almost every time I talk to a MySQL supporter about
PostgreSQL, the whole "vacuum" issue always seems to come up. Some way
to get vacuum automated (and thus out of sight, out of mind) I think
would make great strides in making PG at least "seem" more friendly to
someone on the outside.

Shared hosting enviroments. I work for a web hosting company that offers
MySQL to all of its customers, our MySQL server has several thousand
databases on it, and I must say it works exceptionally well.

Creating users/databases/changing passwords is as simple as sending it a
couple queries from our Customer web interface, trouble shooting poor
queries takes seconds when using "mytop" (mtop), and tracking/billing
for disk usage is as simple as running "du /var/lib/mysql/*". I would
like to say the same things for PG, but I'm affrid I can't.

I think it all comes down to how simple PG is to setup and use on a
daily basis. This is what determines the size of its community. Even
just the simple things make a big difference. ie:

\dt

compared to:

show tables;

Yes, once you get over the "hump" PG is quite efficient, but you need to
understand it, and learn some small quriks first. With MySQL, you can
pretty much guess commands, and they often work! Not as much luck with
PG.

show indexes
show processlist
show columns from <table>

These are all easy/simple commands that make sense to someone who is
just learning the ropes. Short abbreviated, commands are great for the
experts, but can greatly discourage newbies.

--
Best Regards,

Mike Benoit
NetNation Communications Inc.
Systems Engineer
Tel: 604-684-6892 or 888-983-6600

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are my own and not
necessarily those of my employer