Re: best OS suggestions / ease my doubts

From: Tim Ellis <pvspam-postgres(at)hacklab(dot)net>
To: DHS Webmaster <webmaster(at)dhs-club(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: best OS suggestions / ease my doubts
Date: 2003-03-31 19:00:43
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 07:54, DHS Webmaster wrote:
> Just a quickie. We are planning an upgrade from 7.1.3 to 7.3. Since we
> have to bring down our production server to do it we are planning on
> killing all the birds with one shot. We are running RH 7.1 and were
> planning on using RH 8. After reading a little bit recently here and
> there and installing RH 8 on a simple mail server, I'm getting a little
> nervous.

Get more nervous.

Do not ever upgrade more than one component on a production box. There
will be problems, and having multiple changed items will make
troubleshooting a multi-day nightmare. In the end you'll be forced to
back out one of your changes (ie: downgrade PostgreSQL or Redhat).

If you really *MUST* do it all in one downtime, then create an exact
copy of the production machine on a development environment, do the
upgrade there, and run a realistic workload against it using your
applications. You still may regret doing both upgrades at once, but the
possibilities of problems are minimised.

I still say do two downtimes.

--
Tim Ellis
Senior Database Architect and author, tedia2sql (http://tedia2sql.tigris.org)