Re: Performance tuning in PostgreSQL

From: "Daniel R(dot) Anderson" <dan(at)mathjunkies(dot)com>
To: Pgsql-General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Performance tuning in PostgreSQL
Date: 2003-03-27 00:02:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 12:56, Dennis Gearon wrote:
> In General, the rotational speed is higher on SCSCI disks, and this increases
> the tranfer rate from the disc, which is the limitation for anything not in the
> disk's cache. Given the same areal dinsity, a 15,000 SCSI drive will be 50%
> faster in tranfer rate than a 10,000 IDE drive.

For anybody interested I got the story off of slashdot:

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/02/21/0553249&mode=thread&tid=137

The claim is that these ATA drives have "SCSI-like specs at 30% less of
the price". SCSI-LIKE != SCSI though. :-(

--
Daniel R. Anderson
Chief Lab Rat and Helper Monkey

"Never let your schooling interfere with your education"
-- Mark Twain