Re: No heap lookups on index

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Cc: Jeremy Drake <pgsql(at)jdrake(dot)com>, David Scott <davids(at)apptechsys(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: No heap lookups on index
Date: 2006-01-19 23:20:07
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

"Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com> writes:
> Basically, numbers talk. If there were convincing numbers for something
> that wasn't a corner-case that showed a marked improvement then there'd
> be much more interest in getting this into the backend in some fashion.

I've got no doubt that there are *some* "non corner" cases for which
this would be a win. The lower the update load on the database, the
better it's going to look. The issue really is where does it start
being a loss, and can you convince us that those cases are all "corner"
ones?

(The subtext here, of course, is the assumption that it's an
all-or-nothing choice. I'm of the opinion that supporting both options
would be infeasible from a code complexity and maintenance standpoint;
but a simple patch that did both would of course prove that opinion
wrong ...)