Re: PostgreSQL downloads compressed with bzip2 instead of

From: "Daniel R(dot) Anderson" <dan(at)mathjunkies(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL downloads compressed with bzip2 instead of
Date: 2003-03-20 16:47:26
Lists: pgsql-general

I agree that bz2 might very well speed up download over a dialup line.
I was, however, pointing out that one of the arguments as to why
downloads should be available in bz2 format -- to minimize required disk
space -- was specious.

<snip>
> I think the real argument in favor of providing a bz2 alternative to gz
> *is* the time to download. Loading a Postgres tarball over a dialup line
> is much faster with bz2 rather than gz.
<snip>
--
Daniel R. Anderson
Great Lakes Industries, Inc.

"Never let your schooling interfere with your education"
-- Mark Twain