Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign
Date: 2003-03-12 04:39:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 15:38, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> Bruce Momjian [mailto:pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us] wrote:
> > Sure, Neil Conway updated Jan's patches for 7.3

Erm, not exactly. I just removed some of the changes in Jan's 7.2.1
patch that had already been made in CVS HEAD (mostly trivial stuff like
constant renaming) -- since that made the patch a fair bit smaller, I
figured it was worth sending along to pgsql-patches.

> I have not been able to run the patch against either the 7.2.1 source or
> the 7.3.2 source. It always quits with assertion failure after trying
> to patch refint.c

Yeah -- the patch is certainly not in a state that can be applied
against CVS HEAD (and I don't see the point in bothering with applying
it to older versions).

Rather than expecting the whole thing to apply cleanly to CVS HEAD
(which would probably leave you with little work to do, as that's close
to the end goal), my suggestion would be to read through the patch
itself. Find a set of related changes made by the patch (e.g. libpq
changes, FSM changes, etc.), and merge those into CVS HEAD. Then submit
a patch to pgsql-patches.

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com> || PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC