Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign

From: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign
Date: 2003-03-10 21:42:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 14:52, Tom Lane wrote:
> Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca> writes:
> >> We already have that: you send a startup packet with a version less than
> >> the latest, and the backend speaks that version to you.
>
> > Yes, but that requires you know the backend is less than the latest.
>
> As opposed to knowing what? You send the version number you wish to speak;
> either the backend can handle it, or not.

At some point PostgreSQL will have enough users that changing it will
piss them off. If the backend cannot handle whats been requested, we
may want to consider negotiating a protocol that both can handle.

Anyway, it doesn't really affect me one way or the other. So whatever
you like is probably fine.
--
Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>

PGP Key: http://www.rbt.ca/rbtpub.asc