Re: Row level stats

From: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Row level stats
Date: 2003-03-06 16:55:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 11:49, Tom Lane wrote:
> Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca> writes:
> > Not if we expect pg_autovacuum to be able to work. It *needs* this
> > information.
>
> Why?
>
> The implementation I've had in mind for autovacuum would rely on FSM not
> the pg_stats daemon.

FSM as I understand it gets it information from vacuum, and has an space
marker removed when an insert uses the tuple.

Determining when vacuum runs would be based more on Deletes / updates
than anything wouldn't it?

Anyhow, I'd be curious to know your full thoughts on autovacuum and how
it may work.

--
Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>

PGP Key: http://www.rbt.ca/rbtpub.asc