Re: UNIQUE not unique with inheritance (workaround?)

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Samuel Sieb <samuel(at)sieb(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: UNIQUE not unique with inheritance (workaround?)
Date: 2003-02-08 22:12:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 19:34, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> Is there any workaround for this problem? I'm getting involved in a
> project where inheritance is an incredibly useful feature, but the
> non-unique issue could be a serious stumbling block. Is there any way
> to work around it with a trigger or something?

Give each table in the hierarchy a foreign key reference to another
table which holds a unique list of the primary keys and a column that
says which table they are in. Use triggers to update this other table
and to prevent duplications in the hierarchy.

.
--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight, UK http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver