Re: Win32 port powerfail testing

From: Greg Copeland <greg(at)CopelandConsulting(dot)Net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: Win32 port powerfail testing
Date: 2003-02-01 06:27:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 14:36, Dave Page wrote:

> I intend to run the tests on a Dual PIII 1GHz box, with 1Gb of Non-ECC
> RAM and a 20Gb (iirc) IDE disk. I will run on Windows 2000 Server with
> an NTFS filesystem, and again on Slackware Linux 8 with either ext3 or
> reiserfs (which is preferred?).

Please go with XFS or ext3. There are a number of blessed and horror
stories which still float around about reiserfs (recent and old; even
though I've never lost data with it -- using it now even).

Might be worth testing FAT32 on NT as well. Even if we don't advocate
it's use, it may not hurt to at least get an understanding of what one
might reasonably expect from it. I'm betting there are people just
waiting to run with FAT32 in the Win32 world. ;)

Regards,

--
Greg Copeland <greg(at)copelandconsulting(dot)net>
Copeland Computer Consulting