Re: postgresql with SuSE 8.0

From: Art Fore <afore(at)sonic(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql with SuSE 8.0
Date: 2003-01-26 22:56:15
Lists: pgsql-novice

System is SuSE 8.0 with Postgresql 7.2

When I try to start postgresql with the runlevel editor or rcpostresql
start I get FATAL 1: File /var/lib/pgsql/data/PG_VERSION is missing.
This is not a valid data directory.

If I try postmaster -D /var/lib/pgsql/data >logfile 2>&1 &, I get Exit
1.

If I run psql template1, I get psql: could not connect to server: No
such file or directory. Is the server running locally and accepting

Would help if I could find what the errors mean.

What is PG_VERSION that is missing? Where does it come from?

What is Unix domain socket? I am trying to run localhost.

>From the SuSE installation, What is the first thing to do? the second?
etc.

What config files do I have to edit and where are they?

As you can see I am lost. Documentation leads me in circles. It would
also help if it was searchable.

Art