Re: offsite warm backup suggestions?

From: Will LaShell <will(at)lashell(dot)net>
To: andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info, john_seq(at)hotmail(dot)com
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: offsite warm backup suggestions?
Date: 2002-10-31 22:12:34
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, 2002-10-31 at 14:19, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 03:52:03PM -0500, John Sequeira wrote:
> > Does anyone have successful experience using rsync/usogres or one of the pg
> > replication projects to accomplish this?

Usogres just flat didn't work well for us, and it introduces another
program that could cause the system to fail.

> Yes. We use the rserv (eRServer) software from PostgreSQL, Inc. It
> works for us.

We use rserv here at work as well.

> You can't use rsync for this. It will destroy data.
>
> The rserv in contrib/ may not keep up with your volume.

I'm going to be posting some commentary to doing replication with rserv
to the list soon. We recently set up 2 database servers to do
replication with it, and I must say after our initial little hiccups we
have had nothing but good luck with it. I heartily recommend even the
rserv in contrib, if you don't have/want to shell out the dollars for
the commercial version. If you have any problems, post up your question
and it very likely can be answered.

We actually haven't found any slowdown caused by it, and 250k inserts
per day, depending on how the inserts are spread out really aren't that
many.

Sincerely,
Will LaShell