Re: [HACKERS] Advice: Where could I be of help?

From: Thomas O'Dowd <tom(at)nooper(dot)com>
To: Mario Weilguni <mweilguni(at)sime(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Curtis Faith <curtis(at)galtair(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Advice: Where could I be of help?
Date: 2002-10-05 06:53:47
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> just an idea, but if you're still searching something to work on, you might want to take
> a look on the deadlock problem with foreign keys. It seems there's a new kind of lock needed here,
> because it's possible to deadlock backends where no real deadlock situation occurs.
>
> IMO this is one of the biggest problems in postgres now, because for foreign keys are widely used and
> - even if not deadlocking - performance is limited because of the many "select ... for update" the fk system
> uses limit concurrency to one at a time in many situations.

That gets my vote too for what its worth... I had to remove most of the
FK references from my tables and just replaced them with triggers as the
amount of deadlocks I was getting in stress tests was killing me.

Tom.
--
Thomas O'Dowd. - Nooping - http://nooper.com
tom(at)nooper(dot)com - Testing - http://nooper.co.jp/labs