Re: Default permissisons from schemas

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Default permissisons from schemas
Date: 2007-01-23 05:28:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Following up on my reply to Joshua, what I'd like to propose is, for
> comments and suggestions:

> ALTER SCHEMA name [ [ WITH ] [ DEFAULT ] option [ ... ] ]

> where option can be:

> { GRANT { { SELECT | INSERT | UPDATE | DELETE | RULE | REFERENCES | TRI=
> GGER | EXECUTE }=20
> [,...] | ALL [ PRIVILEGES ] }=20
> TO { role | PUBLIC } [, ...] [ WITH GRANT OPTION ]=20
> } [, ...]

> OWNER role

This seems to ignore the problem that different types of objects have
different privileges. E.g., if I want to grant USAGE on all sequences
that doesn't necessarily mean I want to grant USAGE on all languages.

> When not-null the 'nspdefowner' would be the owner of all
> objects created in the schema.

Whoa. You are going to allow people to create objects owned by someone
else? I don't think so ... most Unix systems have forbidden object
give-away for years, for very good reasons.