Re: Index Slowing Insert >50x

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Trevor Ball" <TBall(at)eppcon(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Index Slowing Insert >50x
Date: 2005-02-01 05:29:15
Lists: pgsql-performance

"Trevor Ball" <TBall(at)eppcon(dot)com> writes:
> ... it doesn't
> seem reasonable to me that an index would slow an insert more than
> 50-fold, regardless of hardware or the nature of the index.

Seems pretty slow to me too. Can you provide a self-contained test
case?

One possibility is that depending on your platform and locale setting,
varchar comparisons can be a whole lot slower than a normal person would
consider sane. If you're not using C locale, you might try C locale and
see if it helps.