Missing or Erroneous pg_hba.conf file

From: acchung(at)mit(dot)edu
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Missing or Erroneous pg_hba.conf file
Date: 2002-06-25 22:09:39
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,
I was trying to alter my pg_hba.conf file so that I could
take off trust and use passwords. I edited it inside wordpad
and saved it but it gave me some warning that said I'm saving it in Text-Only
format and that would remove all formatting. Not know how else to save,
i clicked ok. then i read that i needed to send a SIGHUP signal for the
postmaster to recognize the editted files. I typed in

pg_ctl reload -D /usr/share/postgresql/data

postgres(at)E52BPS588R /
$ pg_ctl reload -D /usr/share/postgresql/data
postmaster successfully signaled

THen when i typed in psql template1, i get

postgres(at)E52BPS588R /
$ psql template1
psql: FATAL 1: Missing or erroneous pg_hba.conf file, see postmaster log for de
tails

How do I get my pg_hba.conf file back to normal? Also in the future,
how should i send my SIGHUP signal , because my command is not correct.
PLEASE HELP QUICK!
thank you.

Alex