Re: anoncvs and diff

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: anoncvs and diff
Date: 2002-10-03 17:07:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Nigel J. Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> I had a brain wave and did the cvs log command which was what lead me to try
> specifying revisions. As I say it looks like a lack of knowledge about how cvs
> works for these things. I always thought it worked like RCS and gave a diff
> against the latest checked in but obviously not.

I think "cvs diff foo.c" without any switches gives you the diff between
your local copy of foo.c and the last version of foo.c *that you checked
out* --- ie, it shows you the uncommitted editing that you've done.

If you hadn't done "cvs update" since rev 1.61 then this would explain
the behavior you saw.