Re: BLOB performance test FYI

From: Anders Bengtsson <ndrsbngtssn(at)yahoo(dot)se>
To: Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com>
Cc: Joe Shevland <jshevland(at)j-elite(dot)com>, "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BLOB performance test FYI
Date: 2002-04-19 12:39:03
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On 2002-04-18 Barry Lind wrote:

> This is a great idea. This would certainly solve the memory problem for
> inserts. Selects on the other hand wouldn't be helped since you need to
> read the entire value first before you can get to the rest of the values.

(my second reply to the same message)

I just found this in the JDBC specification:

"For maximum portability, columns within a row should be read in
left-to-right order, and each column should only be read once. This
reflects implementation limitations in some underlying database
protocols."

This means that it would be possible to stream responses too, even with
the current protocol. But it's very impractical for the user, so it's
not a very good solution.

--

A n d e r s B e n g t s s o n | ndrsbngtssn(at)yahoo(dot)se
Stockholm, Sweden |