Re: vacuum won't fix tx wraparound problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com>
Cc: Gene Hart <genekhart(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: vacuum won't fix tx wraparound problem
Date: 2010-06-27 14:30:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Bill Moran <wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com> writes:
>> PostgreSQL stand-alone backend 8.4.4
>> backend> vacuum
>> backend> ^D^D
>> exit

> Am I reading this wrong or did you not bother to allow the vacuum to finish?
> Considering there's no command terminator (;) on the vacuum command, it's
> unlikely that it ever actually started to do anything.

No, Gene did it right --- standalone backends have a different command-line
syntax. (I assume also that he observed a suitably long delay before
the second backend> prompt came up...)

I think Scott's idea of ancient prepared transactions is probably the
most likely bet. Roll those back and then vacuum and you'll be OK.