Re: Peer authentication problem in CGI-Perl

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Mo Holkar <pgsql(at)digitalmindgames(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Peer authentication problem in CGI-Perl
Date: 2002-02-14 00:35:58
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Wed, 2002-02-13 at 18:09, Mo Holkar wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Are you running the Postgres postmaster with -i, to allow remote
> connections? -- and is your pg_hba.conf
> file edited so as to allow connections from the IP address you're using?

That's not relevant. "peer" authentication is only used (in the Debian
packages) for connecting on the same machine through a Unix socket.

> Even if it's your local machine you're testing on, you have to have
> Postgres set up to allow TCP/IP connections if you want to test CGI
> scripts. (At least, I think that's right: please do correct me, anyone who
> knows different.)

It doesn't sound right. The remote end connects through TCP/IP to the
server which runs the CGI script. If the CGI script is running on the
same machine as the database, it does not itself need to use a TCP/IP
connection.

A TCP/IP connection _to_PostgreSQL_ would allow you to run a process on
one machine and directly query a PostgreSQL server on another, but
that's not the same thing.

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver

"The earth is the LORD'S, and the fullness thereof; the
world, and they that dwell therein."
Psalms 24:1