Re: newbie 7.1.3 config question

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Charles Lewis <lewisc(at)delta(dot)swau(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: newbie 7.1.3 config question
Date: 2002-01-31 16:58:14
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 2002-01-31 at 16:15, Charles Lewis wrote:
> I upgraded to 7.1.3 (I'm running Debian sid) and I logged in as postgres and
> got the following errors (generated from my .profile):
>
> sh: /etc/postgresql/postmaster.init: No such file or directory
> sh: /etc/postgresql/postmaster.env: No such file or directory
>
> I thought something may have happened with permissions, but sure enough the
> files were not there. There are some other files that might logically
> replace these entries in .profile (postgresql.init and postgresql.conf). Did
> something change in between versions and is there some way to find out what
> needs to be put in my .profile? Also, if anyone is willing to share their
> .conf and .init as an example of the way it should be set up, I would
> appreciate it.

This is a Debian packaging issue. It is preferably to take problems
with Debian packages to the Debian lists, unless you are certain they
arise from the upstream code.

Your problem is that your .profile is out of date. You should be
sourcing /etc/postgresql/postmaster.conf, not postmaster.init.

As for postmaster.env, there is no such file in any of the Debian
packages.

$ cat ~postgres/.profile
. /etc/postgresql/postmaster.conf
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/lib/postgresql/bin
PGDATA=${POSTGRES_DATA:-/var/lib/postgres/data}
PGLIB=/usr/lib/postgresql/lib
export PGLIB PGDATA

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the
life; no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."
John 14:6