external input for primary key

From: Rob Brown-Bayliss <on_the_net(at)clear(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: PostgreSQL General List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: external input for primary key
Date: 2002-01-17 00:06:17
Lists: pgsql-general

I would like to use the output of and external application as the
primary key for tables in postgres, Can postgres do this (via a PL) or
do I need to have my application get the input and send it to postgres
with the rest of the data?

Obviously if I can get postgres to do it then editing tables by had is
easier.

Thanks
--

Rob Brown-Bayliss