Re: BUG #7792: pg_dump does not treat -c flag correctly when using tar format

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: emesika(at)redhat(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #7792: pg_dump does not treat -c flag correctly when using tar format
Date: 2013-01-07 00:32:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs

emesika(at)redhat(dot)com writes:
> 1) pg_dump -F t -U postgres -f test.tar test
> 2) tar xvf test.tar to any directory
> 3) vi restore.sql
> * restore.sql includes DROP statements for each object even tough -c flag
> was not given

I believe this is intentional - at least, pg_backup_tar.c goes out of
its way to make it happen. (The forcible setting of ropt->dropSchema
in _CloseArchive is the cause, and it's hard to see why that would be
there unless the author intended this effect.) Perhaps we should remove
that, but it would be an incompatible change. Arguing for or against
it really requires a model of what people would be doing with the
restore.sql script. I'm not entirely convinced that it should be
considered equivalent to what you'd get from a plain dump run.