Re: R: Rendezvous/Bonjour broken in 8.1 beta

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Paolo Magnoli" <pmagnoli(at)systemevolution(dot)it>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: R: Rendezvous/Bonjour broken in 8.1 beta
Date: 2005-09-09 13:46:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Paolo Magnoli" <pmagnoli(at)systemevolution(dot)it> writes:
> Hi, wouldn't it be better to implement rendezvous with a
> free/open/cross-platform implementation like Howl
> (http://www.porchdogsoft.com/products/howl/) which should help avoiding
> apple's "tricks"?

Why bother? AFAIK, no one cares at all about bonjour unless they are
running OS X --- and if they are on OS X, switching to howl would just
mean there's an additional bit of software they have to get.

If this were central to Postgres' purpose, we might feel like doing
extra work on it; but it's so peripheral that we've already wasted
more time on it than it's worth. IMHO anyway.