Re: Dereferenced pointers checked as NULL in btree_utils_var.c

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Dereferenced pointers checked as NULL in btree_utils_var.c
Date: 2015-01-20 14:38:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Coverity is pointing out $subject, with the following stuff in gbt_var_same():
> As Heikki pointed me out on IM, the lack of crash report in this area,
> as well as similar coding style in cube/ seem to be sufficient
> arguments to simply remove those NULL checks instead of doing more
> solid checks on them. Patch is attached.

The way to form a convincing argument that these checks are unnecessary
would be to verify that (1) the SQL-accessible functions directly calling
gbt_var_same() are all marked STRICT, and (2) the core GIST code never
passes a NULL to these support functions. I'm prepared to believe that
(1) and (2) are both true, but it merits checking.