Re: PostgreSQL->JDBC->Tomcat->Apache resource uses

From: tony <tony(at)animaproductions(dot)com>
To: nickf(at)ontko(dot)com
Cc: Psql-Jdbc <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL->JDBC->Tomcat->Apache resource uses
Date: 2001-11-14 08:23:40
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-jdbc

On Tue, 2001-11-13 at 20:55, Nick Fankhauser wrote:
snip...
> In our development environment we've observed that whenever we open a
> connection to the database from the app server, a process owned by postgres
> gets started on the database server. It appears that the process is the same
> whether our remote client is a Tomcat servlet or psql running from the
> command line.

> And finally, if anyone else is running PostgreSQL->JDBC->Tomcat->Apache, I'm
> curious about your hardware configuration & experiences with it. Any
> mistakes that you can help me avoid?

I have a very small intranet application which runs on a bi-celeron 500
serveur with 256 Mb of RAM. There is a legacy database running in VMware
on the same machine. The disks are RAID 1 on an Ultra 160 SCSI card.

This is adequate for the time being. The application will be partially
put on the web. At that time I will add a serveur for Apache/Tomcat and
leave the database on the existing hardware.

I have another live database which will be going live bigtime this mont
I'll let you know if it survives the load...

> I've looked at Tony Grant's article on his version of this setup, & I'm
> trying to digest Bruce Momjians's big "PostgreSQL Internals" article, but so
> far, I haven't found these particular questions addressed.

I have many more ideas to improve the page. Any contributions greatly
appreciated. A long delayed update shall be started RSN (TM)

Cheers

Tony Grant

--
RedHat Linux on Sony Vaio C1XD/S