Re: stored procedure stats in collector

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martin Pihlak <martin(dot)pihlak(at)gmail(dot)com>, Volkan YAZICI <yazicivo(at)ttmail(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at
Subject: Re: stored procedure stats in collector
Date: 2008-05-14 02:02:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

I wrote:
> I'm starting to look through this now,

I found another fairly big problem, which is that this stuff isn't even
going to begin to compile on Windows.

What I think we should do about that is forget tracking getrusage()'s
user/system/real time and just track elapsed time. We have the
technology to get that in a portable fashion (cf the well-proven
instrument.c code). Such a decision would also alleviate two of the
biggest negatives of this patch, which are the runtime overhead and
the extent to which it's going to bloat the pgstats file.

Thoughts?