Re: Double Quoting Table Names????

From: Edward Muller <edwardam(at)home(dot)com>
To: wsheldah(at)lexmark(dot)com
Cc: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Double Quoting Table Names????
Date: 2001-09-28 03:25:12
Lists: pgsql-general

The tables were created using phpPgAdmin30beta.

Here is the SQL used to create one the tables

(phpPgAdmin displays this after the create).

CREATE TABLE "Clients" (
"clientid" SERIAL,
"name" char (40) ,
"startdate" char (6) ,
"enddate" char (6) ,
"isactive" bool ,
"acctnumber" int4 ,
"acctpasswd" char (20) ,
"adminid" SERIAL ,
PRIMARY KEY ("clientid"), UNIQUE ("clientid"));
CREATE INDEX "Clients_clientid_key" ON "Clients"("clientid");
CREATE INDEX "Clients_name_key" ON "Clients"("name");
CREATE INDEX "Clients_startdate_key" ON "Clients"("startdate");
CREATE INDEX "Clients_enddate_key" ON "Clients"("enddate");
CREATE INDEX "Clients_isactive_key" ON "Clients"("isactive");
CREATE INDEX "Clients_acctnumber_key" ON "Clients"("acctnumber");
CREATE INDEX "Clients_acctpasswd_key" ON "Clients"("acctpasswd");

So doing the following query via the phpPgAdmin30 webpage:

SELECT * from Clients;

give me this error:

PostgreSQL said: ERROR: Relation 'clients' does not exist

Doing the same with pgsql give me:

ERROR: Relation 'client' does not exist

Doing the same query from JDBC give me ... well you get the idea...

Now if I replace SELECT * from Clients; with SELECT * from "Clients"; it
works fine.

Why? Is it because of case?