Re: CSV mode option for pg_dump

From: "Bill Bartlett" <bbartlett(at)softwareanalytics(dot)com>
To: "'Rod Taylor'" <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: "'Joshua D(dot) Drake'" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "'Andrew Dunstan'" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "'PG Hackers'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CSV mode option for pg_dump
Date: 2006-06-13 16:51:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ah - RTF-UPDATED-M on my part. Most of my systems are still in PG 7.4.x
databases so I tend to stick with the 7.x docs, and I didn't notice the
"WITH CSV" option added in 8.0. That, plus temp tables, will be very
useful.

However, I also agree with the need for a new "pg_query / pg_export"
program. A program geared solely towards exporting the results of a
query would allow many of the options that are needed for the
ever-growing variety of output formats (XML, CSV, HTML, XHTML, etc.) and
details for each format without needing to clutter up pg_dump with
things that really having nothing to do with backing up and restoring
data. It could also allow a large range of options related to getting
data out (where, order by), many of which have also been discussed for
pg_dump recently.

- Bill