Clean up MinGW def file generation

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Clean up MinGW def file generation
Date: 2019-10-15 07:00:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I was mystified by this comment in Makefile.shlib:

# We need several not-quite-identical variants of .DEF files to build
# DLLs for Windows. These are made from the single source file
# exports.txt. Since we can't assume that Windows boxes will have
# sed, the .DEF files are always built and included in distribution
# tarballs.

ifneq (,$(SHLIB_EXPORTS))
distprep: lib$(NAME)dll.def lib$(NAME)ddll.def

This doesn't make much sense (anymore?) since MinGW surely has sed and
MSVC doesn't use this (and has Perl). I think this is a leftover from
various ancient client-only ad-hoc Windows build provisions (those
win32.mak files we used to have around). Also, the ddll.def (debug
build) isn't used by anything anymore AFAICT.

I think we can clean this up and just have the regular ddl.def built
normally at build time if required.

Does anyone know more about this?

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Clean-up-MinGW-def-file-generation.patch text/plain 5.1 KB