Re: Moving pgstat.stat and pgstat.tmp

From: Erik Jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Moving pgstat.stat and pgstat.tmp
Date: 2007-12-04 01:22:29
Lists: pgsql-general

On Dec 3, 2007, at 6:10 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Erik Jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com> writes:
>> 8.2.5 on Solaris 10. Before we upgraded to 8.2.4 it was doing about
>> 65 Mbs/sec. Interestingly, a while back we were running with the
>> data directory mounted with forcedirectio and saw none of this, I'm
>> guessing that fsync calls would have something to do with that?
>
> Hmm ... no, because the stats file never gets fsync'd. I should think
> that forcedirectio would have made things worse.

Interesting. If this is anything you'd like to look into I can
provide whatever diagnostic output you need (iostat, vmstat, dtrace
script outputs, etc...) but I do have to reiterate that we are an
extreme corner case due to out schema size. For now, is renaming the
#define'd paths for the stats file and temp file sufficient for
moving them? Basically, we'd like to move them onto a RAM disk to
give our disks a break.

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik(at)myemma(dot)com