v8.3.4 metadata changes while users active

From: "Gauthier, Dave" <dave(dot)gauthier(at)intel(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: v8.3.4 metadata changes while users active
Date: 2012-04-05 02:26:00
Lists: pgsql-general

v8.3.4 on linux

Here's the problem...
I have to make some metadata changes, add columns to a table, add constraints, drop a view, recreate it. I used to be able to do this by booting users off, and then quickly make the changes before they get back in. They now have software that seems to connect immediately upon detecting loss of connection, so there's no more time wiondow for this old method to work. The idea of doing this in a transaction doesn't seem to work. It just sits there, the users stay connected.

I need toboot them off and prevent them from getting back in so that I can make the changes, then re-enable them. There are 2 users, lets call them "selectuser" and "moduser" who have "select" and "select,insert,update,delete" respectively and a dozenor so tables, plus many stored procedures and functions. So I'm not sure revoke/grant is such a great idea because I think I'd have to grant the privs back to all those elements.

Thanks fora ny ideas?