Re: to realise the dark side of Microsoft SQL Server...?

From: "T(dot)J(dot) Adami" <adamitj(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: to realise the dark side of Microsoft SQL Server...?
Date: 2007-12-20 15:54:16
Lists: pgsql-general

On Dec 19, 4:23 pm, li(dot)(dot)(dot)(at)serioustechnology(dot)com (Geoffrey) wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Geoffrey wrote:
>
> >> It's the product of an evil company? Let's see:
>
> >> 1. they are virtually a monopoly
> >> 2. they use their monopoly to tie folks to their product upgrade
> >> merry-go-round.
> >> 3. They purchase companies to destroy competition.
> >> 4. They generate FUD rather then innovate.
> >> 5. The Novell agreement?
> >> 6. They coerce computer makers to not only preload their operating
> >> system, but coerce them into promoting it.
> >> 7. the OOXML debacle?
>
> >> The list continues, but I suspect you get my point.
>
> > You are assuming most people care.
>
> No, I'm trying to educate people. I was answering the question of the
> begin to care. At least some of them.
>
> > 1. You have to pay for the the OS.
> > 2. You have to pay for the database.
> > 3. You have to pay for any "extra" feature.
>
> > That is where you start.
>
> Agreed.
>
> --
> Until later, Geoffrey
>
> Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
> temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
> - Benjamin Franklin

> subscribe-nomail command to majord(dot)(dot)(dot)(at)postgresql(dot)org so that your

The point is "certification". As the number of softwarehouses grows
up, and so on the number of software solutions, companies are seeking
from mature and professional solutions. But most of them does not know
postgres because it have not a "commercial" certification.

Even here (Brazil), middle-size companies are changing their
PostgreSQL databases and migrating to IBM DB2 Community Edition.
That's all for certified employees, who can "guarantee" virtually the
security and functioning of host applications.